Saturday, January 24, 2015

Real World Instructional Design

This week in my Instructional Design class, we were asked to go out into the public and find two examples of instructional design in which we were able to learn something. I immediately started brainstorming what types of instruction I might come across. I contemplated things I do on a weekly basis like filling up with gas and the dreaded self-check line at the grocery store. It seems like when I use the self-check line, I always end up with an item that I need to search the grocery item database for and can’t find it using their search feature. Then, the computer usually ends up repeating over and over that I have an extra item in the bagging area. So, I looked around a little farther and found two examples to examine more closely and reflect upon.

The first was a poster in which I found at a restaurant near my house. It was the poster with the title “Choking” that must be displayed in public restaurants and other places like grocery stores. I have seen many of the posters in public locations before, but never really spent much time looking at them. I just knew that the word “choking” and “pictures” and a brief description were on them. By just glancing at the poster, you had an awareness that if someone was choking, you had directions on how to properly help them.  So, the main goal of this particular poster was to inform someone what steps you should perform in case you are around someone who is choking. In looking at the poster more closely, I felt like the information was presented in a very effective manner. It consisted of six steps and provided a visual and descriptive action that were easy to follow. Even though I felt that I somewhat knew the information, I did learn a couple of things. For, example if the person is not responding, begin cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR). And it referenced to perform CPR to the beat of “Stayin Alive” by the Bee Gees. Before I read this poster for information, I didn’t remember how many times to push on someone’s chest during CPR, but I can definitely keep the beat to one of my favorite disco songs.

Three instructional design takeaways from this instructional poster would be that providing visuals with your instruction can be effective when describing an action. Second, providing examples in which people can relate a familiar song or scene to the process can help them remember the specifics of the overall process. And finally, I think that your audience must be considered. It would have been more effective if the poster was provided in English and Spanish; however, the visuals made it somewhat understandable if you could not read the description.

Second, one of my weekend rituals is trampling out to the grocery store. This week I ventured out to Sam’s Club to stock up on some items. So, while I was there, I also decided to get gas from their self-serve gas station. I hadn’t been to this particular station before and found that pumping gas at different locations can have somewhat different procedures. For example, when you approach the pump, there is a small screen that is prompting you to answer some questions during the process. The instructions on the screen are provided in order to help someone pay for their gas at the pump; therefore, eliminating the inconvenience of walking inside the store to pay. In this case, it was asking if I had a Sam’s card and to insert it before I began to pump gas. So, I found the keypad and answered “yes” and waited to insert my membership card. After I inserted my membership card, it responded by explaining the discount amount that I would receive for each gallon that I pumped. Then the screen prompted me to select my payment method and to insert my payment card. Cash was not an option at this location. In addition, I noticed there was a picture indicating the proper direction to insert your payment card. Next, the screen prompts you to pick up the nozzle and select a grade of gas. You then must locate the button to select the grade of gas. Upon completion, the screen will ask if you would like a receipt. You can then press the “yes” button, and a paper receipt is printed. Overall, I felt the prompts that appeared on the small computer screen were effective in helping a customer pay at the pump.

In this example, I felt technology was used appropriately and effectively to help guide the user in the payment process. I learned that the use of technology can be utilized to deliver step-by-step instructions. Having one step at a time on the display simplified the process. Second, clarifying pictures can be used if they are needed. For example, providing the picture of how to insert your payment card in order for it to read properly expanded upon the written directions. If you are using visuals, ensure they are not simply repeating the written directions; but instead, adding more detail or clarifying information. And finally, remember your audience. Keep the instructions simple in similar situations as you have diverse people utilizing this service.

Based on what I have read and watched about instructional design, it is important to future projects in our district. Currently, we are looking at investing in a learning management system for our teachers. It will be critical for our teachers to design their daily instruction so that information and directions are simple to find, easy to understand with demonstrations where necessary, and include collaborative activities with real world applications.


References


Bichelmeyer, B. (2005). The ADDIE model: A metaphor for the lack of clarity in the field of IDT. IDT Record.

Merrill, D.M. [mdavidmerrill].  (2008, August 11).  Merrill on Instructional Design [Video File].  Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_TKaO2-jXA

Piskurich, G. M. (2006). Rapid instructional design: Learning ID fast and right. John Wiley & Sons.

 
 

1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate to your analogies (metaphors) esp. the self-serve grocery line. This blog relates back to the projects in your multimedia portfolio. Simplicity + Relevance = Understanding. Plus, all people are more apt to actually read or engage with instruction that has these design components.

    ReplyDelete