Sunday, October 18, 2015

Feedback and Updates on Creating the Transformative Digital Vision Course

I have received feedback from two of my classmates on the course I’m designing in Canvas. First, I used a program called Canva, www.canva.com, to create the graphics in the course. The splash page contains a graphic listing all of the modules that will need to be completed throughout the duration of the course. On my computer, the text on the graphics was very easy to read. However, when viewed on other computers it was more difficult.  So, I redesigned the graphic so that the text is easier to read. In the next peer review, I hope my peers find it easier to read.

When I click through the course, it is hard to believe that it took the amount of work and time that has gone into creating the project so far. For example, as I work on each module, it takes quite an amount of time to ensure that all of the details in one module are consistent with the other modules. I get extremely frustrated when I am participating in an online class, and the information in the various areas such as the syllabus, assignments, and modules are reporting due dates or other requirements that are inconsistent.  

I find the course content easy to produce because I work with the subject matter each day. I know that if I was designing a course in a subject that I am not so familiar with that it might take even longer to create the course. Fortunately, there are many videos on YouTube that can supplement the course materials. However, I have had to produce content so it is tailored to the expected outcomes of the course. And that definitely takes more time to complete.

In addition, as I build the activities for each module, I reflect to see if it is the best online pedagogy for the student task. For example, does the task allow for active learning, interactivity, or collaboration? These specific pedagogies promote and enhance the online learning environment and ensure that students are engaged in the course (Ukpokodu, 2008). In this course, I also want to ensure that the activities and the applications chosen model transformative learning. So, as I build each module, I double check to see if the web applications or resources I have provided are conducive to achieving this task. Again, this takes more time to research; therefore, the timeline becomes hard to meet when you are focusing on the quality of the course.

Reference

Ukpokodu, O. N. (2008). Teachers’ reflections on pedagogies that enhance learning in an online course on teaching for equity and social justice. Journal of Interactive Online Learning, 7(3), 227-255.

No comments:

Post a Comment