Sunday, November 22, 2015

Project Completion


My Canvas course is complete and can be viewed publicly at https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/971925. However, I never really feel that anything that I create is truly finished. Every time I review it, I think of something I would like to add or change. At some point, I just have to let the mouse go and log off.

I do still need to finalize my course evaluation. I started a Google form, but I haven’t finalized the questions. I hope to finish that task during the Thanksgiving Holidays. It has been started along with shared to the world but needs major revising. In addition, I hope to get a jump start this week on creating my final presentation, so I won’t be rushed at the last minute. I am looking forward to seeing my peers’ presentations and how they have used Canvas.

The major challenge that I have faced lately is mostly time. I had a great conference that I attended in Salt Lake City earlier this week, the Personal Learning Community Institute. However, the travel time to get there and back, along with attending the sessions, took much of my extra time that I usually use for completing course work. I did plan ahead some, so I wouldn’t get too far behind. But, I found myself working all weekend to meet the Sunday night deadline. Now that I have met the deadline, I am ready to enjoy the Thanksgiving break. So, thanks to my instructor for pushing us to complete it prior to the holiday.

In addition, I did make the deadline for completing my job aid for the course. If you write a job aid that truly provides all of the background that an instructor needs to successfully facilitate the course, they can be very lengthy. And my job aid ended up at about thirty pages long. I don’t see how it could have been any shorter without deleting key information that will be needed to facilitate the course. I think that perhaps, more guidance or information in the course in this area could help the students produce better job aids for their course. I reviewed the rubric, Googled for information about job aids, and researched the library databases, but did not find any good resources to help improve my job aid. So, I produced a document that I felt would help me if I were teaching the course and was unfamiliar with some of the concepts.

I will not have time to implement the course as it spans over a seven week timeframe. However, it will be a great course for me to utilize with our staff next semester. I also had another district inquire about facilitating the course content for their district. 

No comments:

Post a Comment